Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Senior Speeches

What should I blog about? This was the question of the day March 6, 2012. It’s my last blog post and I can’t figure out what to blog about. So what did I do? I turned to the Internet, which seemed fitting for my social media class. I started by Googling different social media questions thinking it would give me an idea. Needless to say, it didn't give me one. I got distracted, maybe a symptom of social media. I started to Google my brother Beau, my girlfriend Brooke, and finally myself. I found an old video of myself giving a senior speech for my old high school. We have a tradition at The University School of Milwaukee that every senior has to give a senior speech. This speech can be about anything you want. A lot of people use their college essays, because they don't want to have to write another paper. The speech is about ten minutes long, give or take a few minutes. The person giving the speech also picks someone to introduce him or her, often their best friend, or sometimes even their mom. It is really interesting to hear all of your classmates talk about a topic that means so much to them. Many speeches are very personal and expressed something about the person that you would not know. My senior year a lot of people choked up on stage talking about a loved one who had passed. That was kind of awkward though. Our class also had a lot of funny speeches and some not appreciated so much by the teachers. My speech was about hosting a black family of eight in our home my senior year. We hosted this family because they had lost their home in a flood. They had no place where they could go, so they put an ad in the paper. My mom saw the ad and offered them to live with us for a few months.

After googling myself, I stumbled upon this video. This was all possible because of the social media site Vimeo. Vimeo is a video sharing website just like YouTube. Jake Lodwick and Zach Klien founded Vimeo in 2004. If it was not for Vimeo, I would not have been able to reminisce to my old high school days and re-watch all of my friends’ speeches.

1 comment:

Susan Greenberg said...

You should include a link so we can watch it!