Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Why Is Twitter so popular?

I was sitting on the couch watching TV three years ago and my mom was telling me how she is signing up for a new social network site called Twitter. She urged me to come over and see what its all about. I reluctantly got off the couch to appease my mother. She said it was like the new Facebook, no joke. She was telling me how it all worked. She told me she was following Lance Armstrong and Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, a great woman by the way. I never thought Twitter would catch on. I said “Who cares what these people are doing every second of their days, Twitter is so lame”. I vowed to myself I would never get a Twitter account.

This year I had to give in and get a Twitter. My social media class required I sign up for Twitter and follow at least fifty people. I really have only tweeted twice and don’t really deserve any followers. But I don’t despise Twitter as much as I thought I would. Every time I found myself with time to kill I looked at my Twitter on my phone. I love reading all the ‘WTF Facts” and the "most interesting man in the world" quotes. I actually like reading my friends tweets even though I think to myself I would never write that on the Internet. So really the question is, how did my mom foretell the future? Why is Twitter so popular?

After reading Jason Preston and Nicky’s articles about why Twitter is so popular, I have come five main reasons. One: The layout and usage is so simple. Two: It is easy to use on your phone if you want to tweet on the go. Three: Everybody is already on twitter, your friends, sports stars, and political figures. All you have to do is click "follow". Four: It is the newest and fastest way to get the latest news. It's how I first heard that Whitney Houston died. Five: All the most interesting celebrities are on Twitter. It is a direct way to hear from your favorite stars. Twitter has blown up the past few years for all of these reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA-tOsM6F4Y

http://thenickyblog.com/2011/07/twitter-popular.html

http://www.quora.com/Why-is-Twitter-so-popular

No comments: